Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"LMR's Weekly Author Stalk" featuring Tricia Zoeller & "First Born" Signed Paperback SALE!!

Awesome Paperbacks ready for
your Keeper Shelves!

Hey Friends! Today I got to sit down with author Tricia Zoeller, author of one of my very favorite books, an Urban Fantasy, "First Born". I have a signed copy on my keeper shelf annnnd you can get one too!! This week Tricia has signed paperbacks on SALE for just $8.50 to get yours click here or the link below. Now through Aug 24th!! 





Now let's talk with Tricia :-)




Author, Tricia Zoeller
What inspired you to write “First Born”?
Over three years ago, I woke up with the idea of Lily in one of her shapeshifter forms. I had read the Sookie Stackhouse series and I liked the shapeshifters in the story line. I also admired how much mystery Charlaine Harris puts into her paranormal stories. I just started jotting down notes and funny scenarios and First Born took root.




Can you tell us a little bit about your main characters?
Lily Moore
Lily Moore is in her twenties. Her mother is of Chinese descent. She works as a graphic designer for Cartoon Network in Atlanta and seems to have control of her life and where it is going. Overall, she’s a good girl. The daughter of a cop shot in the line of duty, she’s tough, but more mentally than physically. Her life gets turned on end when a bad date triggers her first shapeshifting event.

Seth Moore is Lily’s younger brother. He fits more the “failure to launch” crowd. He keeps trying on different careers, but he doesn’t stick with anything for too long. He’s still immature and doesn’t always make the right decisions. He’s a good-looking guy who comes across more laid back to Lily’s high-strung personality. He's strong, but has a soft heart.

Detective Caldwell Simms
Caldwell Simms is a homicide detective for the Atlanta Police Department. He is calm, methodical, and smart. He usually is in control, but Lily’s situation has him thinking and acting outside his comfort zone.

Did you find any characters more difficult to write about than others?
My forensic expert, Tiny Hunt, was difficult because I wanted to relay his big personality and humor but make certain I respected his situation. I don’t want to give away anything, but he has a way of coping with his situation in life that I wanted to make sure I got right.

Do you have any favorite characters to write about?

I enjoyed writing from Lily’s point of view. She is more gutsy than I would be, particularly when she starts to hit her stride in First Born. I also have a series of shorts coming out soon. The second story, Shadow Fire, has a character named Bianca. She’s mouthy, honest to a fault, but manages to be sensitive at the same time.

When writing, are you more character driven or plot driven?
It truly depends on the story. For a mystery with many characters and motives, I found the plot at the forefront of my mind. And yet, I wanted to give enough information that readers connected with the main characters.

For fantasy, I always consider my characters but also place a heavy emphasis on setting, world building and the “why” behind everything. The Darkling Chronicles shorts are in first person and have only one person’s point of view. These are very different from the Lily Moore Series, but the story line requires it.

I am turned off by stories that leave nothing to the imagination about a character. I want the reader to have some freedom in visualizing, particularly physical attributes.

Did you write the story from the beginning to the end or out of order?
I have a tendency to know the beginning and the end, but not all the details in the middle. In general, I write in order. Sometimes I rearrange, as I organize. If the plot is complicated, I may use a timeline and charting and find myself reorganizing things to help the reader.

Did you always know how the story would end or did it come to you as you wrote it?
Each story is different, but I usually have some idea of how I want things to end. Sometimes it changes, but not much.

Tricia's partner in crime, Lola
taking a reading break
Did you have a particular audience in mind when you started writing, or did it just unfold as you went?
I know that I am gearing it toward paranormal and fantasy fans. Sometimes I have a general understanding of age range.

What was your favorite part of the process? What was your least favorite part?

My favorite part is the writing. I love the freedom of getting down that first draft. The sky’s the limit. When new characters start talking in my head and I can’t write fast enough, that’s the best feeling in the world.
 
Tricia's agent, George...hard at work
My least favorite has been the self-publishing aspect. If I could learn something the hard way, I did. I don’t regret it, though. I have learned more in the last three months than I could ever have imagined.

Are there any books or authors that have influenced you in your writing?
Authors who have influenced me include: Charlaine Harris, Stephen King, Robin Hobb, Jana Oliver, and J.K. Rowling.

What are you reading right now?
Cassandra Clare’s City of Bones.

Do you have any “must haves” when writing?
My laptop, coffee, music, pens of all shapes and sizes, pictures, and chocolate.

How long is your TBR list? Is it hard to make time to fit in a personal read?
I’m a bad person. I stopped adding to my TBR List! The self-publishing route has taken me away from really enjoying books for a few months. I’m trying to get back on track. I do keep adding books to my shelves and Kindle, but I haven’t been as organized with my reading as I am with my writing.


Amazing Book Covers for Shadow Blues & Shadow Fire
created by
Robin Harper of Wicked By Design
Do you have new projects in mind for the future?
I’m working like a crazy person to get The Darkling Chronicles out. I want to be sure my world building is solid so I’m revisiting the first shorts. I have the second book in the Lily Moore Series, Red Moon Curse to edit. And, I have a young adult fantasy called Into the Wind that raises all the hair on my arm when I think about it.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12 FAST FUN FACTS
1 – Favorite TV Show & Movie……….
Game of thrones/Harry Potter movies
2 – Coffee, Tea or Soda……….
Soda
3 – eBook or Paperback……….
Both!
4 – Favorite Reading Spot……….
Bed.
5 – Most Loved Genres……….
Paranormal, urban fantasy, mystery, some romance.
6 – Sing along or listen quietly……….
Sing along but not in front of anyone.
7 – Pool or Beach……….
I love to swim and walk on the beach, but can’t do much of either because I’m sun sensitive.
8 – Movie Theatre or Rent at Home……….
Movie theatre.
9 – Dog or Cat……….
Both!
10 – Sweet or Salty……….
Sweet.
11 – Camping or Hotel……….
Hotel!
12 – BBFs, Flawed or Perfect……….
Flawed. I don’t want them to be too pretty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First Born Paperback Sale = $8.50!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Synopsis:
When twenty-six-year-old graphic designer Lily Moore shapeshifts for the first time, Atlanta police detectives consult wildlife experts to sort through the bizarre forensic evidence she leaves in her wake. Her traumatic transformation coincides with murder and Lily finds herself the center of a mad vortex of area crimes.

On the run, Lily turns to her younger brother to help unravel the secrets surrounding her boyfriend’s death as well as unlock the mysteries of their Chinese heritage. When a loved one goes missing, Lily finds herself scrambling to find purchase in this new world where there hasn’t been balance for a century.

As she learns to master her new preternatural abilities, she must cut through the lies of those around her. With the police and a killer hot on her trail, can she solve the mystery of being First Born or will family secrets prove deadly?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Author Bio:
Tricia lives in Marietta, Georgia with her husband, Lou, her little yappy dog, Lola Belle, and her big orange mutant cat, George. Her two stepsons, Joseph and Robert, make stopovers as well, making sure to keep life an adventure. Writing has always been a part of her life–like breathing and chocolate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 





Stalk Tricia here:

Books by Tricia:








No comments:

Post a Comment